If you aspire to be a firefighter it is really important that you keep in mind the fact that it is going to be really difficult. Being a firefighter is not about the fire fighting gear or wearing the best wildland firefighting boots. There are tons of things that you should keep in mind as you start with the process of becoming a firefighter. In this article, we are going to take a look at the most important things that you need to keep in mind as you begin your journey.
- In order to prepare yourself as a firefighter, it is really important that you pass the EMT exam. As most of the firefighting departments are looking for candidates that have some medical experience with them so that it would save them some time with the training process. Moreover, as a firefighter, this knowledge is really vital and essential for any firefighter to work efficiently. This is why if you are interested in becoming a firefighter you should learn more about EMT as soon as possible.
- It is also important that you volunteer to community services as firefighting departments are interested in choosing candidates that are motivated and are interesting in working for their community. If possible, you can also volunteer for programs that will improve your skills and knowledge as a future firefighter. This is where you will find the American Red Cross a really credible source.
- This organization is always looking for volunteers and CPR instructors. This way not only you do community service but you also learn and gain more experience in this field.
- If you are serious about becoming a firefighter it is recommended that you take fire technology classes so that you can learn more about the firefighting duties, injury factors, and factors that are responsible for a line of duty deaths.
- This is not essential, but these classes are going to improve your knowledge and experience with firefighting significantly. Moreover, this will show your commitment and dedication to this field.
- As you apply as a candidate, it is really important that you maintain a clean track record. Along with your resume, the firefighting departments are going to take a look at the previous records, for instance, your accidents, anger management issues, arrests, traffic tickets, etc.
- All these will significantly affect your position during the interview.
- Now that you are ready with the basics, you should begin by learning more about the firefighting hiring process and the different stages it has. For that, you can get in touch with your local fire authorities as the selection process changes with regions.
- It is important that you get yourself familiarize with this process so that you can prepare yourself accordingly.
- Thereafter, you can start with the firefighting tests that are available online. This way you will be able to hone your skills and gain more experience quickly. There are various online websites that are offering you free online tests as well. Besides that, you can also participate in the firefighting tests that are organized by different departments as well.
These are the most important things that you need to keep in mind as you aspire on becoming a firefighter.